RESOLUTION NO. 717
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY OF UNIVERSITY PLACE, WASHINGTON, DESIGNATING CERTAIN CITY SUPPORTED COMMUNITY EVENTS FOR 2013 AND DESCRIBING THE EXTENT OF CITY SUPPORT TO BE AFFORDED TO THOSE EVENTS
WHEREAS, the City Council recognizes that community events which take place on City property and/or in City rights of way are valuable in promoting the City’s identity as a distinct community within the South Puget Sound area, support a high quality of life for residents, and promote economic development and tourism; and
WHEREAS, the City Council acknowledges that the benefits to the City from certain community events which take place on City property and/or in City rights of way result in ample consideration to the City to justify affording in-kind City support to those certain community events; and
WHEREAS, the City Council desires to list the community events that will receive in-kind City support in 2013, and the extent of the City support that would be available to those events;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF UNIVERSITY PLACE, WASHINGTON:
1. City Supported Events: The following events are hereby designated as City Supported Events in 2013:
1. Flower and Plant Show
2. Duck Daze
a. Duck Parade
b. Treasures in the Park
c. Car Show
d. Art Fair in Market Square
3. Concerts in the Park
4. National Night Out
5. UP Fest
6. Pups in the Park
7. Cider squeeze
8. UP for Art Atrium Arts and Concert Series
2. Extent of City In-kind Support: To the extent of available resources within the budgeted amount in the General Fund Community Events in the City’s 2013-2014 budget the following will comprise the categories of City in-kind support available to designated community events. Within the following available categories, the City in-kind support to designated community events will be determined on an event-by-event basis by the City Manager or designee in consultation with the event organizers:
1. Health - portable toilets, hand wash stations, garbage disposal.
2. Traffic Control (when required) - Public Works and/or Police.
3. Police Security - for event when required.
4. Fee waiver – Waiver of facility, park rental, and permit fees.
5. Insurance - Coverage of City premises on which the events occur. The City’s insurance does not cover claims against any vendors participating in the community event, including but not limited to product, food, beverage vendors or amusement device operators. Such vendors or amusement device operators must provide proof of insurance as a part of the event permitting process for each City supported event.
6. Advertising - City web, reader board.
3. Legislative Finding. The City Council finds that community events which take place on City property and/or in City rights of way in University Place are valuable in promoting and the City’s identity as a distinct community within the South Puget Sound area, supporting a high quality of life for residents, and promoting economic development and tourism, and the City Council finds that the benefits to the City from the listed community events, results in appropriate consideration to the City to justify affording in-kind City support to those community events. Specifically, by advertising, publicizing, or otherwise distributing information for the purpose of attracting visitors and encouraging tourist expansion and assisting the City’s economic development activities.
5. Effective Date. This Resolution shall be effective immediately upon passage by the City Council.
ADOPTED BY THE CITY COUNCIL APRIL 1, 2013.
Ken Grassi, Mayor
Emelita Genetia, City Clerk
APPROVED AS TO FORM:
Steve Victor, City Attorney