RESOLUTION NO. 840
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY OF UNIVERSITY PLACE, WASHINGTON, APPROVING A LEASE WITH L AND J REYNOLDS, LLC/DBA ANTHEM COFFEE, FOR RETAIL UNIT “A” OF THE UNIVERSITY PLACE LIBRARY CIVIC BUILDING
WHEREAS, the City owns two commercial retail spaces in the Library/Civic Building, and has listed them with a commercial real estate broker; and
WHEREAS, for leases of the U.P. Civic Building retail spaces, the City is seeking commercial retail businesses which generate sales tax. The City places a priority on commercial retail businesses operated by experienced individuals with a record of success at other locations. The City is interested in uses, like food and beverage based businesses or specialty retail, which generate consumer activity and contribute to overall pedestrian experience; and
WHEREAS, while the City welcomes office and service type businesses, there is ample available space elsewhere in the Town Center zone, and within the other commercial areas of UP and, therefore, such uses are disfavored as tenants in the Civic Building retail spaces; and
WHEREAS, L and J Reynolds, LLC/DBA Anthem Coffee is a commercial sales tax generating use with a history of success in other locations meeting the City’s tenant goals; and
WHEREAS, it is in the City’s best interests to enter into a lease with L and J Reynolds, LLC/DBA Anthem Coffee for Retail Unit “A” of the Library/Civic Building.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF UNIVERSITY PLACE, WASHINGTON, AS FOLLOWS:
1. Incorporation of Recitals. The recitals are hereby incorporated herein as if set forth in full.
2. Legislative Determination of Consideration. The Council of the City of University Place has considered the proposed Retail Lease Agreement with L and J Reynolds, LLC/DBA Anthem Coffee, and hereby makes a legislative determination that the lease terms are sufficient and appropriate consideration for the lease of Library/Civic Building Retail Unit A by L and J Reynolds, LLC/DBA Anthem Coffee.
3. Approval of Form of Documents. The City Council hereby approves execution of the Retail Lease Agreement with L and J Reynolds, LLC/DBA Anthem Coffee, in substantially the form of the documents attached to this Resolution.
4. Completion of Transaction. The City Manager is authorized to take and execute any additional measures or documents that may be necessary to complete this transaction, which are consistent with the approved form of documents attached to this Resolution, and this Resolution.
5. Effective Date. This Resolution shall be effective immediately upon adoption by the City Council.
ADOPTED BY THE CITY COUNCIL ON JUNE 19, 2017.
Javier H. Figueroa, Mayor
Emelita Genetia, City Clerk
APPROVED AS TO FORM:
Steve Victor, City Attorney